American Institute of Inspectors Standards of Practice
15 System – BUILT-IN APPLIANCES AND SYSTEMS
15.1 The Inspector shall observe and operate the basic functions of the following using normal operating controls:
- Installed dishwasher, through a normal cycle.
- Range, cook top and installed oven.
- Garbage disposal.
- Ventilation equipment or range hood.
15.2 The Inspector is NOT required to evaluate:
- Trash compactor (unless mandated by State requirement).
- Installed microwave ovens or microwave leakage (unless mandated by State requirement).
- Built-in or other refrigerator and any associated water connections.
- Refrigeration units that are not installed.
- Clocks, timers, self-cleaning oven function, or thermostats for calibration or automatic characteristics of operation.
- Appliances that are not built-in; such as, washers, dryers, toaster, icemaker, coffee maker, can-opener, blender, instant hot water dispenser, or any other similar small, ancillary or non-built-in appliance.
15.3 The Inspector is NOT required to evaluate:
- Appliances that are in use or that contain owner items (such as dishwashers).
- Any system, component, or appliance that does not respond to normal user controls.
- Any system, component, or appliance that requires use of special codes, keys, combinations, or devices.
- Solar heating systems.
- Geothermal systems.
- Swimming pools.
- Tennis courts.
- Piers and docks.
- Waterfront bulkheads.
- Cottages/guest houses.
- Private water supply system.
- Private wastewater analysis and system.
- Satellite dish systems.