American Institute of Inspectors Standards of Practice
11 – SYSTEM: CENTRAL AIR CONDITIONING
11.1 The inspector SHALL observe and report on:
- Central air conditioning including cooling and air handling equipment and normal operating controls.
- Distribution systems including ducts, registers, air filters, fans, pumps and piping, with associated supports, insulation, and fan-coil units if different than heating system.
- The presence of an installed cooling source in each room.
11.2 The inspector SHALL:
- Identify energy sources.
- Identify cooling equipment type.
- Report on condensate drains where visible and accessible.
- Operate the systems using normal operating controls.
- Open readily accessible and unsecured access panels provided by the manufacturer or installer for routine homeowner maintenance.
11.3 The inspector is NOT required to:
- Examine or report on cooling systems when weather conditions or other circumstances may cause equipment damage.
- Examine or report on: non-central air conditioners; gas fired, solar or geothermal cooling system; food, wine or similar storage cooling systems. Permanently installed wall air conditioning units may be reported on by using normal operating controls.
- Report on the uniformity or adequacy of cold air supply to the various rooms.
- Examine or report on any humidity control systems or components.