American Institute of Inspectors Standards of Practice
6 – SYSTEM: EXTERIOR
6.1 The inspector SHALL observe and report on:
- Exterior wall coverings, flashings and trim.
- Primary windows and doors.
- Garage-door operators.
- Attached garages and carports.
- Attached decks, balconies, stoops, steps, columns, areaways, and porches including hand railings and guardrails.
- Eaves, soffits, and fascias.
- Vegetation, grading, drainage, driveways, patios, walkways and retaining walls with respect to their effect on the condition of the building. [Retaining walls are reported on based on their existence, visual function and whether weep holes are present. The adequacy and engineering aspects are left to the appropriate professional].
6.2 The inspector SHALL:
- Identify exterior wall covering materials.
- Operate all exterior doors including garage doors, manually or by using permanently installed controls of any garage door operator.
- Report whether or not any garage door operator will automatically reverse when meeting reasonable resistance during closing and/or when the electronic eye beam (if installed) is interrupted.
6.3 The inspector is NOT required to report on:
- Garage door operator remote control transmitters.
- Operation or condition of storm doors, storm windows, screening, shutters or awnings.
- Geological, geotechnical or hydrological conditions.
- Soil conditions.
- Recreational facilities, including, but not limited to, spas, saunas, steam baths, swimming pools, tennis courts, playground equipment, and other exercise, entertainment, or athletic facilities [unless specifically contracted for by the client and the inspector possesses the proper technical expertise, training and applicable State licensing and/or certification for such inspections].
- Foundation, roof and all underground drainage systems.
- Detached outbuildings and structures, other than primary parking garage and carport, unless specifically contracted for inclusion in the report by the client.
- Areas or items that are not visible from a readily accessible walking surface.
- Waterfront boathouses, piers and docks, waterfront bulkheading.
- Outdoor barbecues.