American Institute of Inspectors Standards of Practice
SYSTEM: FIREPLACES, CHIMNEYS AND SOLID FUEL BURNING APPLIANCES
14.1 The Inspector shall inspect and report on:
- The condition of the visible areas of the chimneys, flues, dampers and associated system components.
- The condition of the visible areas of the fireboxes, hearth extensions, mantles fireplace surrounds and permanently installed screens and/or glass doors.
- The manufactured solid-fuel or gas-burning appliance installation.
- Presence or absence of any seals or gaskets to glass doors.
14.2 The Inspector is NOT required to:
- Inspect the interiors of flues, chimneys or fireplace insert flue connection beyond visible areas.
- Inspect the automatic fuel feed devices.
- Inspect the combustion make-up devices.
- Ignite or extinguish fires.
- Determine draft characteristics.
- Move fireplace inserts or stoves or firebox contents.
- Determine structural integrity of fireplaces or chimneys.