American Institute of Inspectors Standards of Practice
13 – SYSTEM: INSULATION AND VENTILATION
13.1 The inspector SHALL observe and report on:
- Insulation in unfinished attic and foundation areas.
- Ventilation of attic and foundation areas.
- Kitchen, bath, and laundry venting systems and whether the vents terminate at the exterior of the dwelling.
- The presence of any attic ventilation fan.
- The presence or absence (only) of storm doors or thermal windows.
- Evidence of visible condensation and other consequences of inadequate ventilation.
13.2 The inspector SHALL identify:
- Insulation in unfinished attics and estimated quantity.
- Insulation in under-floor crawl spaces and estimated quantity.
- The absence or presence of insulation in unfinished spaces next to heated living areas.
13.3 The inspector is NOT required to:
- Report on insulation and vapor retarders concealed in ceilings or exterior walls.
- Report on venting equipment and fans that are integral with household appliances.
- Report on the thermal efficiency ratings or concealed ventilation systems.
- Disturb insulation or vapor retarders.
- Determine indoor air quality.