American Institute of Inspectors Standards of Practice
12- System: Interiors
12.1 The inspector SHALL observe and report on:
- Wall, ceiling, and floor surfaces.
- Steps, stairways, balconies, and hand railings and guardrails.
- Cabinets and counters.
- Windows and doors including hardware.
- Fire resistant separation at chimneys, walls, ceilings, and doors between a dwelling unit and an attached garage.
- The operation of the auto-reverse safety features on automatic garage door openers from the installed operator mechanism (remote operator devices are not considered).
- The presence of Glass that is not safety glass and location, where the area for visible markings is accessible and visible.
- The presence or absence of smoke alarms including testing their operation through the installed manufacturer supplied test device, if accessible.
12.2 The inspector SHALL:
- Identify window types.
- Operate all accessible primary windows and interior doors.
- Report on visible signs of abnormal or harmful water leakage.
12.3 The inspector is NOT required to report on:
- Finishes on the interior walls, ceilings, and floors.
- Draperies, blinds, or other window treatments.
- Household appliances.
- Central vacuum, security or intercom systems.