American Institute of Inspectors Standards of Practice
7 – SYSTEM: ROOFING
7.1 The inspector SHALL observe the roof and report on:
- Roof coverings
- Roof drainage systems
- Skylights, chimneys and roof penetrations.
- Visible condition of the exterior of chimneys and flues.
- Any appearance of instability or missing attachment or guying system for antennae or TV dish system.
- Signs of leaks or abnormal water intrusion into/onto building components.
7.2 The inspector SHALL:
- Identify the type of roof covering materials
- Report the methods used to observe the roofing.
- Report on overall condition of the roofing.
- Report on any conditions that are damaging to the roof.
7.3 The inspector is NOT required to:
- Walk on the roofing when walking could damage the property or be unsafe to the inspector.
- Report on any antennae or Satellite dish system function, operation or its grounding system.
- Report on the interior of flues or chimneys that are not readily accessible and/or visible.